Pembroke Pines (K-12) Campus - Guidance Counselor (9-12)
Welcome to Franklin Academy’s High School Guidance Department. Our counselors are here to assist students in the areas of academic, personal/social and career development. We are committed to helping each student reach his/her personal goals.
DIRECTOR OF GUIDANCE
Mrs. Christine Englert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students with last names A - H
Ms. Amber Lattimore, email@example.com
Students with last names I - Z
BRACE Advisor/Dual Enrollment Coordinator
Ms. Ivy Velasquez firstname.lastname@example.org
SAT ACT Free Workshops
CALCULATING HIGH SCHOOL SEMESTER AND EOC GRADES
Calculating Semester Grades:
Courses are broken down into parts called semesters. Semester grades determine whether the course is passed and .5 credit is earned. Each semester grade is made up of three (3) grades: two quarter grades and the exam grade.
- 2 Out of 3 is a Must!
- To receive a passing grade for the semester, the student must earn a passing grade in a) both quarter grading periods, or b) one quarter grading period and the semester examination.
These three grades are combined as follows to calculate the final semester grade:
Semester 2: Q3 = 37.5% of semester grade Q4 = 37.5% of semester grade E2 (semester exam) = 25% of semester grade.
Semester 1: Q1 = 37.5% of semester grade Q2 = 37.5% of semester grade E1 (semester exam) = 25% of semester grade.
Calculating EOC Final Grades:
EOC classes are full year courses that are calculated for one final grade and earn 1.0 credits. These courses include Algebra I, Geometry, Biology, and US History. These courses are calculated with the following percentages:
Q1 = 15% Q2 = 15% Midterm = 10% Q3 = 15% Q4 = 15% EOC = 30% (End of Course exam)
The Broward County Grade Calculation tool can be found at https://www.bee-man.us/school/broward_grades.php
BROWARD VIRTUAL COUNSELOR
- Students can access their academic information by logging into their Broward Virtual Counselor account. Academic information includes cumulative GPA, test scores, academic history, graduation information, and community service hours. Students may email their school counselor to receive their 06 Broward County student number and password.
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Parenting Positively During a Pandemic
The Children's Services Council offers resources for parents through the Broward County Parent Resource Guide. Information regarding education, basic needs, family support, health and mental care, financial assistance, disability services, employment and abuse can be found by accessing the link below.
Testing for the Spring 2022 Term is now available. Please see Spring 2022 Dual Enrollment document below.
COLLEGE & CAREER CORNER
- State University Admissions Matrix 2020-2021
- Florida's Official Student Advising Site
- College Navigator NCES
- Career Planning
- University Headquarters Resource Center
COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS
Most colleges use both SAT and ACT test results to help determine admission eligibility. Both tests are widely accepted. Students will be asked for our school code when registering: 100023
- Where to register:
- The following websites are great places to get free practice:
COLLEGE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE AND SCHOLARSHIP
- Florida - Office of Student Financial Assistance
- Federal Student Aid – FAFSA
- FastWeb Scholarship Database
- Scholarship Search
- The Best Scholarship Search Platforms of 2020
FLORIDA BRIGHT FUTURES SCHOLARSHIP
STUDENT COMMUNITY SERVICE
- 40 Hours are Required to Graduate!!!
- You must ensure that you are performing your hours with a non-profit agency
- For opportunities and acceptable locations ask your guidance counselors or check-out Hands On Broward and VolunteerMatch
- Additional hours are required for the Bright Futures Scholarships:
- 100 hours for Florida Academic Scholarship
- 75 hours for Florida Medallion Scholarship
- Student Service Volunteer Hours Log Sheet
- Community Service Learning Guidelines
PLANNING FOR GRADUATION
Please consult with your counselor for more information.